McKalla Place is currently under construction. Groundbreaking took place on September 9th, 2019 at a sunny McKalla, and the latest timelines published by Austin FC have the first event scheduled for the first week of April, 2021.
Where is the stadium located?
The stadium is located at 10414 McKalla Place in north central Austin, near the corner of Braker and Burnet Roads. It’s just opposite the Domain.
When will Austin FC start playing at McKalla Place? Will the club play somewhere else in the meantime?
Austin FC will start play in Major League Soccer in the 2021 season. There are currently no plans to play any home games away from the stadium, and with the first event scheduled in April, 2021, the club will likely start the first season on the road until the stadium is complete. Los Angeles Football Club and D.C. United have also built stadiums recently and began their seasons on the road.
How many seats will McKalla Place have?
McKalla Place is planned to seat 20,500 on the first matchday.
How much will tickets be?
That’s still to be determined. The club is contractually obligated in the lease to distribute at least 1,000 complimentary tickets to organizations agreed to by the Affordable Ticket Committee. 1,000 additional tickets will be offered at below-market rate, with 200 being $20 or less. Club president Andy Loughnane has committed to 75% of seats being less than $48 per match.
How can I get involved?
Austin Anthem is the independent supporters group of Austin FC. We build tifos, bring the band, and advocate for our community during matchdays and every other day. A variety of memberships are offered, including a free one – join us today at austinanthem.org/membership.
How We Got Here
On Wednesday, August 15th, 2018 the Austin City Council approved a resolution which allowed City Manager Spencer Cronk to negotiate and execute a deal with Precourt Sports Ventures (PSV) that would bring a $200 million+ stadium to the city owned land at 10414 McKalla Place.
The final deal was signed and executed on December 18th, 2018. The lease began at 12:00am on December 19th.
The next steps for the club are to select contractors and engineering firms, and begin the process of permitting through the City of Austin’s Economic Development Department.
Summary of Benefits
- Leases the tract of land to PSV for an initial term of 20 years. The City of Austin retains ownership of the land, and, barring any extensions or further agreements, will be able to sell or lease the land once the term is up.
- PSV has the option to extend the lease for an additional 10 years, up to three times. This makes the maximum lease term under the agreement 50 years without further council intervention.
- The stadium will be privately funded, with construction costs borne by PSV.
- Upon completion, the ownership of the stadium will be deeded to the City of Austin.
- The site and stadium will be leased back to PSV for $550,000 a year beginning in year six of the lease.
- View the full agreement between the City of Austin and Austin FC here.